Friday, November 2, 2012

Day 2 of 30 Days of Thanksgiving: The Simplicity of a Child's Faith

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Heb. 11:1 NKJV)

On All Saints Eve (Halloween), I got sooo annoyed. My neighbor invited us to her Mom's house for a Costume kind of party, where the kids get together, play, go trick or treating for a few blocks, etc...

It started going downhill when I found out the neighbor got off late from work and would not be able to come and get us. So we had to get on the bus and go a bit of a way to get to her mom's house. I get over to that side of town, an area Im not at all familiar with, and cannot seem to find the location because one of the other people who lived in the building I first went to said she didn't know who I was talking about! So we walked a little bit, hoping to see her car sitting outside and then my phone died and I did not have her phone number committed to memory. So I used MiniMe's phone to message her through Facebook, hoping she would get the alert on her cell phone. 

At this point,  I am beyond tired because I wasn't expecting to have to take MiniMe over there. The agreement was she was suppose to come back to the house to get her, busy she got off work late and she didn't get a chance to tell me until the time she was suppose to pick her up that she wasn't going to be able to come this way so now I've got to get myself together to go after getting MiniMe together. I just wasn't up for it I tell ya!! I finally get out of the door, the buses are taking a long time and are crowded with other trick or treaters, just to get over there and not be able to find the exact location. So then Im wishing that I had just taken her to our church for All Saint's Eve, but I had already told MiniMe that her costume would not be exactly appropriate for church plus she wanted to go trick or treating, something she would not have been able to do had we gone to the church.

So then I see the bus that would take us right over to the church door and I say if she doesn't respond back by time the next bus come.. we are going to the church!!!

MiniMe, of course, is crushed. Then on what was probably MiniMe's prayer, the neighbor called MiniMe's phone and gave us the directions to go back to the house we first went to 30 minutes earlier. By time we got back over there after an hour and half of traveling, they had already taken the kids trick or treating and so then my baby just sat down and just looked sooooo sad and my heart broke. 

Then my neighbor said to take her this was and that way for a couple of blocks, but its almost 7 and trick or treating over here is suppose to stop at 6 and they are pretty strict about not giving out candy after 6pm. 

"2 Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, 3 and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 18:2-4)

But away we went, and my baby, with her sunshiney disposition says with the positive conviction that a 9 year old child can muster up, "thats ok Mommy, I bet SOMEBODY is going to give me some candy." She was ever so thrilled to go skipping and running down the block looking for lights that were still on, looking at the various decorations, and even more happy that 2 or 3 houses did in fact, still have their lights on, still had candy and she was able to get some. She was able to still enjoy the thrill of Homeowners attempting to scare the children. LOL

She had faith.

She refused to be disappointed.

She refused to give up hope.

All was well in her world. She was good. Satisfied. Content.


I am feeling kind of blessed, that in this ONE instance, she did as I said, and not as I do. Somehow, or another, I had planted that mustard seed of faith in her and it was strong enough to withstand my negative attitude. 

All I could think about was my own frustrations.. cold.. wishing I had a car.. wishing we had went to the church... never trying to make the best out of the situation at hand and here she was having a sunny disposition on ALL  of it.

SOMEBODY is going to give me some candy Mommy. 

In that moment, I learned sooo much from my own kid. About Faith. About being content. About really being satisfied with being content and relearned the lesson about how being satisfied with contentment does not mean we are settling. 

For many of us, we would have never gotten beyond our own frustrations, that we would have never had the faith that it would work out for the best. We would have never made the best of it anyway despite the circumstances. We would not have been satisfied. Nor content. And we most certainly would have probably felt CHEATED. Whatever we may have managed to get, we may have had feelings of discontentment, as if it wasn't enough. Succumbing to darkness and never for moment thinking to use the Power and Spirit of God within us to speak LIGHT into the situation at hand. Never having that mustard seed of faith. 

We can learn a lot from a Child's Faith. 

So on Day 2 of 30 Days of Thanksgiving, I am thankful for being able to learn the simplicity of a Child's Faith. I am thankful for being able to see MiniMe put into action, "speaking as if it already were". Im thankful my daughter did not succumb to my negative attitude.I am thankful she was able to keep a positive disposition. To piggyback off of yesterday's message, Im thankful my child, my precious MiniMe, for being able to use the Power and Spirit of God in her to speak LIGHT into existence. Finally, I am thankful to God for granting me His Mercy, and allowing me to see MiniMe's faith in action. 

People brought babies to Jesus, hoping he might touch them. When the disciples saw it, they shooed them off. Jesus called them back. “Let these children alone. Don’t get between them and me. These children are the kingdom’s pride and joy. Mark this: Unless you accept God’s kingdom in the simplicity of a child, you’ll never get in.” (Luke 18:15-17 Message)

She had faith. 

She spoke her candy (LIGHT) into existence. 

And it was good. 

Sooo very good. 

Now, about that dentist bill... ehhhhhh LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment