Saturday, November 3, 2012

Day 3 of 30 Days of Thanksgiving: Thanking God for His Mercy

O give thanks unto the Lord; for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever. Psalm 136:1

Mercy is defined as the discretionary power of a judge to pardon someone or to mitigate punishment, especially to send to prison rather than invoke the death penalty.

For those of us who are Christian, the definition of Mercy would be the discretionary power of God to withhold punishment despite the fact you may deserve it. 

To not allow you to die in your natural, sinful state. 

To put His loving arms of protection around you despite the fact you actually deserve to deal with the consequences of your actions. 

Never to be confused with Grace, but Mercy is to not get what you deserve. To withhold punishment. 

So, I got thinking about the many many MANY  times God extended His Mercy upon me..

The time I was going a little bit too fast down a dark and curvy road in the country, listening to some crazy rap music and I didn't see the curve in the road until I was in it. Flipped my car 5, 6, 7 times.. As I was rolling over, I saw headlights pass by going in the opposite direction, which means I avoided hitting and possibly killing someone else. Last thing I remembered was saying Lord Have Mercy on me. And the car stopped. I climbed through the drivers window and walked with just a scratch on me knee. 
And Im not going to tell you that the driver's side of the roof was completely smashed down. They wondered how I got out the car.

And His Mercy endureth forever. 

Or being strangled five times by the hands of a man I was shacking up with when God told me in my dreams to leave. 

And His Mercy Endureth Forever. 

OR the time I was up late at some ungodly hour, putting posters up on my wall, I smelled smoke, looked out the window and saw flames shooting up the side of the building. I was the first one to call 911, and when I made it out the building, the very spot I was sitting at was ablaze. 

And His Mercy Endureth Forever. 

Or finding out about my ex being HIV+ (the same man who strangled me) only to find out that I had been spared from being infected. 

And His Mercy Endureth Forever. 

Or when I turned my back on Jesus being the Son of God and became Muslim and he didn't allow me die in such a state.

And His Mercy Endureth Forever. 

I could probably go on endlessly about such scenarios. The problem with being headstrong and stubborn is God had to give me situations that will jolt my head around as He screams at me...

Daughter, don't you realize how much I love you? 

How dare I say, I feel unworthy and unloved by God when He has shown me His Love for me repeatedly? How dare I say he had turned His back on me? How dare I say He doesn't answer my prayers? Heal my hurting heart? That he hasn't delivered me from darkness?? How dare I say that about MY GOD!! 

Father God, I repent of all feelings of not being loved, not being worthy, as IF you did not have me in the loving protection of Your arms while I was in the midst of my sins.. 

Amen. 

"Don’t you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Does this mean nothing to you? Can’t you see that his kindness is intended to turn you from your sin?" (Romans 2:4 NLT)


No comments:

Post a Comment